Thursday, July 8, 2010

my current attempt

so...for those of you who haven't heard the news...my current attempt is surviving pregnancy. now that i've completed the first trimester, life can begin again somewhat. not to say that i wanted to die during the first trimester, but there were days that i started to consider it. feeling constant nausea is just no fun, but definitely worth it.

it was also an interesting experience from the food/dietitian point of view. because of my nutrition background, i know (almost too much) how incredibly important nutrition is to development, especially early development.

however, sometimes, reality gets in the way. at first, i couldn't get enough protein...cottage cheese, protein bars, and string cheese were foods i couldn't get enough of. then, suddenly and unexpectedly, those foods were completely disgusting. seriously, gagging.

and then it was all about the carbs...gatorade, crackers, toast...but no sweets. yes, the girl who LOVES cookies...now has absolutely desire for them. (most of you are thinking that would be great, yet it's really so sad for me.) though carbs were most appealing, food in general was just plain annoying. the phrase, "i am SO sick of eating" was heard often, very often.

and now that i'm moving into the second trimester, the appetite is slowly coming back (though some foods are still very off-limits, mostly texture related...string cheese, shredded chicken, etc). hopefully, food will once again be a friend and the fruits and veggies and home-cooked meals can again start flowing in the z household.

so that's the current attempt...surviving the next few months of pregnancy...and then onto another adventure...motherhood! i can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. I am so so so so so excited for you! It is all definitely worth any inconveniences you experience in pregnancy. For me it was almonds, smoothies, and chicken nuggets that I just couldn't stand even the thought of! :) I don't know if you have already done your maternity clothes shopping, but if you haven't I would recommend going to Motherhood Maternity. I think their prices are pretty reasonable and I seriously LOVED every piece of clothing I got there. If you don't want to get tops there at least get your pants there. They have several styles, but I could not have lived without the Secret Fit Belly pants. I got a pair of corduroys, dress pants, and jeans. The jeans were my absolute favorite, I wish I had bought 2 or 3 pairs. Sometimes I actually miss wearing them :) They also have some really great nursing tops for after the baby comes. So there is my plug for Motherhood Maternity. I hope that the pregnancy continues to go well! I can't wait to hear what you are having.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I love the craziness womens' bodies go through to have a baby!! So fascinating & I am so so happy for you!!! You must have been keeping this from me though when I was still at BYU..not cool. J/K :) Congrats again!!!

    ReplyDelete